As mobile is showing its increasing power and popularity to marketers, many businesses are still hesitant building a mobile websites. It’s right not to jump to building a mobile website or app without having a proper strategy for mobile to be integrated into the overall digital roadmap; but, it’s essential for businesses to understand the importance and why they need to build content for mobile.
More Mobile Phones Users
eMarketer estimates over 2.1 billion people in Asia-Pacific will use a mobile phone at least monthly this year, representing over half the population of the region.
Mobile internet penetration is expected to rise to 42.1% of mobile users in the region by 2015. And for many of these users, mobile is the first screen for internet access.
You don’t have to wait for more to see mobile users overtake fixed Internet users in one market after another.
The Rise of Mobile Search
The Influence of Mobile Devices on Consumer Decision Making
Google partnered with Ipsos during the 2011 holiday shopping season to study online shoppers and uncovered a number of interesting consumer behaviors across desktop computers, smartphones and tablets.
- 41% of those who used their mobile phones to help with shopping said they made a purchase directly on their smartphone
- 46% said they researched an item on their smartphone then went to a store to make their purchase
- 37% said they researched an item on their smartphone then made their purchase online
Also, from the above chart you can compare the popularity of activities on different devices. It’s obvious that the growing ownership of mobile devices especially smartphones and tablets leads to increasing impact on consumers’ decision making.
After understanding the importance of developing a mobile strategy for your business, the next step is to work on it; but before you do, you should be able to answer at least these five questions:
- How does mobile fit into the overall digital strategy
- Advantages of developing mobile apps v.s. mobile websites
- What type of content work better on mobile
- What are the KPIs for mobile performance and how to track
- How do you advertise on mobile websites and apps