Microsoft released a joint study with Sony which shows that exposures to Sony search ads on Microsoft’s Live Search lifted purchase intent and drove likelihood that the viewer would recommend the Sony product. The ads generated:
- More positive attitudes toward Sony and less positive attitudes toward competitorsâ€™ brands.
- A 14.5% increase in purchase intent, and an 8.9 percent increase in the likelihood of recommendation.
- A 20.9% increase in the perception of Sony as the â€œleader in the field.â€
Similarly, the findings from last month’s Enquiro study showed a significant correlation between companies in the top organic (natural search) and paid search placements and consumer brand affinity, brand recall and purchase intent.:
- A 16% point increase in brand association when brand is in top ad and top organic listings
- A 2.2x lift in aided brand recall when brand is in top ad and top organic listings
- When brand is in top ad and top organic listings, purchase consideration increases 8% points
- Consumers are less likely to consider purchasing a brand that doesnâ€™t appear on the search results page
- Even for branded queries, presence in top ad and top organic listings boosts purchase intent
The lesson here:
- Don’t give up brand related keywords in your search marketing campaigns.
I had a client recently who insisted not use brand related keywords. The “reason” is simple: the website is ranked well on brand terms. I hope he would understand the impact now (he got the study now).