In a whitepaper released by Enquiro, which is a study commissioned by Google, showed a significant correlation between companies in the top organic (natural search) and paid search placements and consumer brand affinity, brand recall and purchase intent.
These are the key findings:
- A 16% point increase in brand association when brand is in top ad and top organic listings
- A 2.2x lift in aided brand recall when brand is in top ad and top organic listings
- When brand is in top ad and top organic listings, purchase consideration increases 8% points
- Consumers are less likely to consider purchasing a brand that doesnâ€™t appear on the search results page
- Even for branded queries, presence in top ad and top organic listings boosts purchase intent
In addition, the eye tracking study reveals consumer insights:
- Brand fixations occurred in the URL and title of the listing; not in the description
Best practice: Place your brand in the title, URL, and as close to the start of the description as possible in your ad and organic listings
- Subjects with established affinity for the brand spent 25% less time on the top ad listing, jumping down to the organic listings 73% faster than the non-affinity group
Best practice: Ad listings appear to have a greater opportunity to lift brand affinity among new customers; write and target them as such â€“ especially for upper funnel queries
What do we learn?
- Your investment in brand advertising increases with search
- Advertise on unbranded and branded keywords
- Tailor your ad to prospects, those with no established 3 brand affinity