This is part one of a series of posts on Search Engine Marketing for marketers. This part introduces basics of paid search or SEM and its benefits.
Search Engine Marketing is about keywords; it’s keyword driven marketing. People look for information they are interested in search engines by searching with keywords; marketers can target their potential customers by targeting those relevant keywords with relevant text ads. You pay whenever your ads are clicked.
The more competitive the keyword is, the more you need to pay; the higher you want to get listed, the more you need to bid. However, this is not always true. Most search engines have quality score: the higher your quality score, the lower it costs you. This video can help you better understand Google quality score:
The benefit of SEM campaigns is to enable you to broadly target your ads to people who are more likely to purchase your products or service. Besides, it’s measurable, flexible, and controllable. You will find out more in the next part.
- Cost effective advertising. Pay only when the ads are clicked on. Theoretically, people click on an ad only when they are interested.
- Targeted marketing. People search for what they are interested; unlike push marketing with medias like TV, SEM is more targeted, permission based.
- Broad reach. With SEM, even SME can target worldwide with limited budget.
- Flexible budgeting. You can spend as much as millions per month or as little as a few hundreds per month; it’s up to you.
- ROI driven marketing. With proper tracking, your SEM marketing can be measured against ROI.
- Timing. You can engage potential customers at precisely the right moment.
How do you target the right searchers besides using the right keywords? The next part explains.